This is the official web page of the Atari ColdFire Project. Our goal is to build a new Atari clone which will be based on a ColdFire processor and to make this clone available to the public at a favourable price.
ACP is a project of people from the community for the community without any financial interests of any kind. It's a project that is worked upon by many persons in their spare time and without payment.
It's an initiative of people from different parts of the world wanting to create something new for our beloved Atari world.
Our aims are:
- Develop a new atari compatible computer to offer available hardware to the Atari community and other interested people.
- Find a well-balanced and doable solution between compatibility to original Atari Hardware and a reasonable price.
- Design a computer that has at least the same functional range as the Hades Atari clone.
- This means to make an Atari Falcon clone with nearly full compatibility to an original Falcon, which will be based on a ColdFire processor which is the fastest and most compatible hardware to the 68k processor family.
- Build a computer which will be the fastest available GEM hardware, and which can use every 'clean' GEM program right from the start.
- Create a computer which has the possibility to expand and - as a long time goal - to become compatible to any 16/32 bit Atari that has ever been built.
- Develop a machine which has enough power and potential to implement further developments like a DSP, DVD-decoder and more with VHDL.
- Built an Atari compatible computer that uses as many free licences as possible to make way for later developments. An open project for everyone who wants to participate and help. A complete Personal Computer, which should be as far as possible Open Source. Not only the software, even the hardware shall be open. The schematics are already available at our pages.
At the Atari Coldfire Project there are 37 persons involved at the moment, in one or another way. There are also two companies involved: Medusa Computer Systems/Fredi Aschwanden, and Milan Computer/Kassian A. Goukassian. Both companies have no commercial interest, and give their knowledge for free. Milan is responsible for the TOS, while Medusa Computer Systems from Switzerland is producing the hardware will grant the warranty etc.
We are very proud, that the former Clone-producers joint forces with the open source MiNT developers, several demo-coders and other Atari community members. All together we are producing a new Atari clone, free of any commercial interests, without any payments to any involved persons, but as much free and open licences as possible!